Monday, November 17, 2014

It was a very enjoyable day in the Vijyoshi Science camp 2014 IISc. I was suffering from fever, and because of which, I had to cancel my initial experiment which I was supposed to demonstrate, which was, home made cloud chamber, and detect muons. I recovered on the very morning of the last day of the experiment demonstrations. Suddenly I felt an urge to give a demonstration, and that was the doing o the teaching part of my mind. Then I straight went off to the physics department, spent the whole afternoon  in planning how to demonstrate the science associated with playing with liquid nitrogen, and had a nap for 2 hours, and then Prof. Raghavan gave me a ride in his car upto the venue, during which some of the liquid nitrogen spilled on my foot, no damage was done, since "Leindenfrost Effect" was there to save me. And that was the very dialogue I used to describe the phenomenon of Leindenfrost effect and I told about the accident too.
After reaching there, P. Ganesh Subramanium, but known as PsGs, couldnt give me a table spot for demonstration, so I set it up on the central balcony wall, and I quite liked that spot too. Then I started giving my demonstration, starting by saying "Whatever I am about to show you now, they are so simple that you might think later that this could also have been done by a 9 year old boy. But mind it, a 9 year old boy wont get his hold upon Liquid Nitrogen!" Then I showed them how liquid oxygen can be pulled out by dipping a strong magnet in the Nitrogen, and the priciple behind it(paramagnetism). Then I showed them the Leindenfrost Effect by pouring some drops on a petri dish, told them how it is seen in the kitchen when a drops of water starts running around on a very hot frying pan, and then I dipped my own hand in the box of Liquid Nitrogen (for those who are already imagining how I would look like without a hand, you will be quite disappointed when you see my recent photo, since I still have my hand intact!), and explained them how I retained my hand. And then I ended my demonstration by doing that biscuit dipped in Liquid Nitrogen thing after saying "It is kind of boring, and conventional how people eat biscuits dipped in tea. Today, I will be showing you the more unconventional and cool way!(Pun Intended)." It was a simple experiment, but as Prof. Venky, our physics prof, told me, "Very simple yet full with fun filled science."





After seeing my demonstration with liquid nitrogen, some of the enthusiastic viewers tried out my stunt of eating a biscuit dipped in Liquid Nitrogen!
I still remember at one time I was almost running out of biscuits, and someone asked me whether he could try with his own biscuits, and coincidentially, it was a Hide n Seek, the same biscuit that I had. To this I replied, "You may, but in one condition, that you have to donate the pack of biscuit here in the name of "Science"!" And he had a biscuit and donated the packet, and soon, everyone started to do the same. I didnt mind, I just showed them the safe way.
And some of them even started calling me out "sir!" Although I was enjoying it(narcissism LOL), it still sounded strange to my ears, so I told them not to, and gave them my name instead.
In the end I disposed the liquid nitrogen on the floor. It was fun to watch, and after the successful demonstrations, I became very ecstatic!
I was very unsure whether anyone would come and enjoy such simple issues, but later, I was satisfied, since a horde of people came to my "fun" table(or should I say, "fun" balcony wall!). Still, to get a verification, (and to satisfy my narcissist curiosity), I asked PsGs about how many people came to my demonstration, to which he replied "Your show had the highest TRP for today!" And I was more than satisfied.
Then after that, I got my lunch packet, and after submitting the equipments, I returned to the hostel and started playing Limbo on my laptop. I finished the whole game that night itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HORIZON II: Forbidden West

   

Original Radio

Classical Radio

BAD PRODUCTION HOUSE

BAD PRODUCTION HOUSE
The new Endeavour